Ladies Club

I don't remember when Snigdha bacame member of Ladies club. Ladies club was born long time back of which Kumkum only is continuing the legacy. Snigdha was not the member then. Might be she was not feeling at home with the members of that time. Moreover Ladies club was running a small chit fund with contribution from the members. Lottery was taken every month and the winner got the money. Snigdha probably did not have enough money to join this group, thanks to my limited income. Gradually the senior members left for some reason or other and Kumkum took initiative to keep it alive with new members when probably Snigdha was induced to join.

I found Snigdha enjoying the Ladies club get-together thoroughly. She was infact eagerly waiting for the day every month. I was left alone in the house on the day of Ladies club and after her coming back she was narrating what happened in the club, of course the interesting part i.e gossips. When the club was thinking of increasing the contribution, she told me that she would leave it as she could not afford the increase. I smiled knowing that she would never leave. And why should she. Mou was giving her some monthly allowance for medical expenses from which she was managing her contribution.This year Mou increased the allowance for which she was very happy. Unfortunately she could not enjoy the increase for long. 

This year beginning she was not well but even then she went to attend the Ladies club meet at Gopa's house. She felt sick and could not enjoy much. I don't know how many she could attend. But when she was in hospital, one meet was supposed to be held at Mahua's house. Snigdha told me to bring her cheque book to pay her contribution. When I handed over the cheque book to her, she helplessly looked at me saying she could not sign as her hand was shaking. I assured her not to worry as I would pay on her behalf. She did not imagine that she would not be able to attend meet anymore.

In the Smaran sabha organised by Ladies club, Kumkum wanted to return her contribution this year to me. I requested her to donate the same to the social organisation they normally give every year.

Comments

Popular Posts