Niagara Falls 

My parents came to visit in the summer of 2008. It was a stressful summer. Bharath and I both had graduated, we had moved in stages from our home in Purdue to new homes in Chicago and Michigan. I had a stressful defense and a new job to get used to. 

In the middle of all that Ma wanted to visit Niagara Falls. I really didn’t want to go. Because we had two households, cash was tight. I saw Bharath every weekend and going to Niagara Falls meant I wouldn’t see him for two weeks as he couldn’t make it. I was very reluctant to go. But they were so keen I rented a car and charted a trip from Detroit to Buffalo via Ohio and PA. 

We set off in a Ford Focus on a Friday evening. First stop was at Cleveland at my friends place who graciously hosted us. Next morning on a beautiful sunny midwestern summer day we started driving. We had a lovely drive. We talked and talked. Ma sat next to me, Baba behind. We reached Niagara around 1 pm. Did the usual things and despite my reluctance I was amazed at the beauty of the Falls. We had a picnic by the river and for some reason I remember that very well. We had Russian salad, sausages and bread. It was so wonderful. On the way back we drove to Pittsburgh and stayed with more friends, Sukanya from Purdue who had a gathering that night. Next day was ma’s birthday - we went to downtown Pitt near CMU and had cake all together. That was the last time I spent her birthday with her in person. 

My reservations about the trip notwithstanding, that was one of the most memorable times I’ve had with my parents. Undiluted conversations. Many months later while watching a play based on Niagara Falls I teared up with the fond memories of the picnic by the river. In some ways I’m glad they insisted on it. It was memorable for them and for me and these days when I miss her so much I just have those memories from nearly 10 years ago that I yearn for to go back to. 

Comments

Popular Posts